Unight Aberdeen News

Woman 24 Dies After Taking Mephedrone

- submited by Shelly Wall

Tuesday March 23, 2010

Damien Pearse, Sky News Online

A 24-year-old woman has died after apparently taking the legal party drug mephedrone, police have said.

A packet of mephedrone, also known as meow meow or M-Cat

The woman, who has not been identified, was found dead at an address in Norton, near Malton, North Yorkshire, on Monday morning by a friend.

Detectives believe the woman may have taken mephedrone, also known as M-Cat or meow meow.

This latest tragedy follows the deaths of Louis Wainwright, 18, and Nicholas Smith, 19, who died in Scunthorpe last week following a night out.

North Yorkshire Police issued a stark warning about the dangers of the drug as it made an appeal for anyone who may have seen the victim in the last couple of days to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Nigel Costello said: If you have used this drug and feel unwell then you should seek urgent medical assistance.

If you possess this supposed legal substance then please hand it to the police or dispose of it safely.

Although mephedrone is currently not classified as an illegal drug, people need to know that this substance is very dangerous and it is important that anyone who has taken it contacts their local GP or hospital immediately.

A post-mortem examination is due to be held in the next few days and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

Police ScotlandSafer AberdeenDiageoScottish GovernmentCrimestoppersAberdeen City CouncilStreet Pastors